August 22, 2013

Pain in the Back!

Get outside and have an adventure!

piz : )

Thanks to my amazing sponsors: Arcteryx, CAMP-USA, SCARPA, Sterling Ropes, the AAC and WIndX-treme

Ever since the Summer Outdoor Retailer Trade Show in Salt Lake City about 3 weeks ago, I have been having to manage my severe low back pain. In 2006, I broke my low back in a fall while attempting to complete a first free ascent in Yosemite. Since then, I have had to train regularly, (Training with Piz blogposts) which helps me maintain use and a mostly pain free existence.

But something odd happened this time around at the end of July, the pain that would come every once in a while has stayed and impacted my everyday movement and to the point where I am now heading to get assistance regularly from the chiropractor. I can no longer touch my toes, do certain stretches and even sit up normally. Getting in and out of the car is not easy, lifting and setting down my fifteen pound 10 week son is actually difficult. I have even been cutting back the intense training sessions because I feel that they are too much for a healing back.

I am nearly 40 and with pride say that I am very fit. I know that I am whining, but it sucks to say that our bodies, no matter how well we take care of them and exercise them can still break down whether we want them too or not.

Now, my wife will say that every time that I have a set back or minor injury, that I freak out and immediately think of the worst case scenario (which would be me never being able to climb and push myself again physically) but as I get older I often have those thoughts and wonder when that day will come.

To those who are living the dream and feeling invincible, love it, enjoy it and relish in the moment whether it is fleeting or for years because no matter who you are and how fit you have become, it won't last forever.

See you out there on the rocks!

1 comment:

  1. “..our bodies, no matter how well we take care of them and exercise them can still break down whether we want them too or not.” - I agree. But with the technology nowadays, we have an advantage. There are lots of treatments now that are available that could make our life much more comfortable. Like chiropractic care, for instance. With its gentle and effective adjustments, we can be relieved from body pains. _Shan@ BrandonChiropractor.net

    ReplyDelete