May 31, 2013

Gaunlet Race Recap

Get outside and have an adventure!

piz : )

Thanks to my amazing sponsors: Arcteryx, CAMP-USA, SCARPA, Sterling Ropes, the AAC and WIndX-treme

I ran an adventure race a little while back. It was called the Gauntlet.

It involved a 5k obstacle course in which you had to crawl, jump ascend and descend hills and other obstacles and even get a little bit dirty.
Waves of competitors left the starting area every 5 minutes and each person wore a timer on their number.

Rowan and Jane and I went to the race on a beautiful morning and I was not sure what to expect. The course was a converted motor cross race track in the rolling clay hills outside of town. It was dry except for the massive water trucks that were dousing the race course and the hills that we had to go up and down.

Since I had never done something like this I wasn't sure how to warm up so I just did my typical climbing workout warm up along with some short running bursts. The group of competitors included cross-fit folks to stay at home moms and everyone in between. About 400 people came out to play and in the end I was able to take 2nd in my age group and 8th overall.

It was a good time and made me feel like I was a teenager again playing in the woods and streams behind my parents house.
 Pre-race time with the boy.
 The 400+ crew of racers.
 Grand Junction style energy foods
 Yeah, do I really have to identify what this is?
 Jane and Rowan at the start.
 Me at the start of my heat. I didn't get the memo about wearing pink.
 Starting up the first hill just a few feet in front of the starting line.
 All alone on the course.
 Near the end of the race and still gaining and all alone.
 Wearing some mud just before the finish.
 Under the fence and into the ditch for some more running.
 At the end of the race and looking for mud.
Rowan and I after changing clothes.

Would I do it again. Sure! Especially with Jane and my two boys!!! I can't wait till they are old enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment