May 21, 2013

The Waiting Game

Get outside and have an adventure!

piz : )

Thanks to my amazing sponsors: Arcteryx, CAMP-USA, SCARPA, Sterling Ropes, the AAC and WIndX-treme

The last two weeks I have been getting ready for the coming of my second son. That has meant getting the diapers and clothes and crib ready. That has meant preparing the infant car seat and making sure that we have bottles for feeding and bibs for eating. That has meant that I have been closer to home, too. I have taken care of the swamp cooler on the house, cut the grass, burned lots of brush from the yard and attempted to weed the beds at the front of the house.

Other than my training sessions before work, climbing has been limited to two photo shoots. That is OK, because I have needed a break period to prevent injuries and a general rest for my body. That doesn't mean that I have not been itching to get after it, not all all. I have taken time to sit down and plan some mini adventures over a few long weekends. I will head up into the alpine zone and climb some granite, and as usual, I will attempt to climb new sandstone cracks around the Colorado Plateau. I am also looking forward to a trip to South America next year. (I cross my fingers to make this one happen)

With my school district lengthening the school year and with my growing family, it is beginning to be a bit more challenging to get out. I have invested in a Treadwall, which I plan to use to make sure that I maintain and progress in my climbing. Since I only have a short time to train, this is certainly the best tool in the world to have sitting in my garage. It will be set a little steeper than I would like (due to the height of my ceiling) and I don't own any holds yet, but in the end it will help me to perform when I need to on the real rock outside.

I have always said that I am not a fan of training, but I am fan of how makes me perform. Specific training over time that is directed at specific areas will always prove to be better than just going to the gym and messing around. I have spent the last (nearly) ten years working on figuring it out. Now, I will finally have the final tool to finish understanding the process.

Until then, I will anxiously await my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment