April 9, 2013

Exponential Week: The First Day

Get outside and have an adventure!

piz : )

Thanks to my amazing sponsors: Arcteryx, CAMP-USA, SCARPA, Sterling Ropes, the AAC and WIndX-treme

Day 1
It was cold, so cold in fact that the down jackets were out and we found lots of ice frozen in the wash while on the way through Rough Canyon to the tower. I picked up Ben early in the morning because I knew that attempting a first free ascent always takes longer than you think! I was crossing my fingers about this route that I had chosen.
 Here Ben attempts to drink from the wash. No luck.
 Ben and the tower in the back.
The crack that had been aided once (as far as we know). It led to a slow time aiding, cleaning and eventually freeing it.There were plenty of loose sandstone blocks to trundle off the wall and edges to break along the way. After we took turns eating sand, the pitch was freed. Then the snow and wind came in.
We climbed the squeeze chimney (or should I say, I conned the rookie Ben into leading it) and then sent the last boulder problem to the anchor.  The most memorable portion of the route was the giant flake that I was afraid to weight in the middle of the route. Once I got past, it was a little bit of off-width without gear to a traverse through the four inch roof.  What a day to fight the cold, our fear and come out on top!
 Me with all my clothes on!
 Ben was questing up the first pitch!
 Ben joining me on pitch 2
 Ben to the summit
The view throughout the day. Sometimes it was snowing and blowing and other times we got a few seconds of sunshine. Overall it was a great start to the week!

piz : )

No comments:

Post a Comment